Sunday 20 January 2013

Thai- Month of overflowing Grace


Pongal Greetings from Net
||Aum Sri Ramakrishna Sharanam||

 

Aum Namo Narayanaya

 

It was another proud moment in the history of our country when African nations congregated in Johannesburg yesterday to inaugurate the African Cup of Nations to be held over the next month in South Africa. It was mesmerising to watch the colourful pageantry of the contesting nations as they showcased their unique cultures and customs to the varied audience, telecast all over the world. The rich finery of costumes and adorning ornaments, each unique to the different nations, was in itself a fashion display, showcasing the richness of Africa.

 

As Indians, we also have our own unique customs and traditions that emanate from the different regions of India. As much as we understand that we are all one, we appreciate the contributions of these different traditions to the collective culture of India. The South Indian community which draws its inspiration from the region of Tamil Nadu celebrates two very wonderful festivals in January.

 

It is not common to hear at the crack of dawn the bellowing screams of Pongal-o-Pongal here in the suburbs of South Africa, but the air weighed heavily in South India with the aroma of boiling rice over an open fire and the screams of Pongal-o-Pongal as the brew boiled over the earthen pots. Amidst the smoke from the log fires and the fume-dense-air from the automobiles, families gathered all clad in new clothes and inspired thoughts to give thanks to Surya (Sun God) and the farming implements -  which includes the live-stock, for the bounty of the harvest.

 

Although very much ritual-based, I ponder the spiritual angle of this vibrant festival towards our evolution.. If you travel in countries afflicted with drought and shortage of food, it will be virtually impossible to see wastage of food or water. Hence the symbolism of the overflow of the pongal is to highlight the abundance that the Lord has provided.

 

I recall this story from the net, not confirmed if true, but relays a wonderful message to mankind. There is a very instructive incident involving the life of Alexander, the great Macedonian King. Alexander, after conquering many kingdoms, was returning home. On the way, he fell ill and it took him to his death bed. With death staring him in the face - Alexander realised how his conquests, his great army, his sharp sword and all his wealth, were of no consequence.

 

He now longed to reach home to see his mother’s face and bid her his last adieu. But, he had to accept the fact that his sinking health would not permit him to reach his distant homeland. So, the mighty conqueror lay prostrate and pale, helplessly waiting to breathe his last. He called his generals and said, “I will depart from this world soon. I have three wishes, please carry them out without fail.” With tears flowing down their cheeks, the generals agreed to abide by their King’s last wishes.

 

“My first desire is that,” said Alexander: “My physicians alone must carry my coffin.” After a pause, he continued; “Secondly, I desire that when my coffin is being carried to the grave, the path leading to the graveyard be strewn with gold, silver and precious stones which I have collected in my treasury.

 

The King felt exhausted after saying this. He took a minutes rest and continued. “My third and last wish is that both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin.” The people who had gathered there wondered at the King’s strange wishes. But no one dare bring the question to their lips.

 

Alexander’s favorite general kissed his hand and pressed them to his heart. “O King, we assure you that your wishes will all be fulfilled. But tell us why do you make such strange wishes?

 

At this Alexander took a deep breath and said: 

 

“I would like the world to know of the three lessons I have just learnt. I want my physicians to carry my coffin because people should realise that no doctor can really cure anybody. They are powerless and cannot save a person from the clutches of death. So let not people take life for granted.

 

The second wish of strewing gold, silver and other riches on the way to the graveyard is to tell people that not even a fraction of gold will come with me. I spent all my life earning riches but cannot take anything with me. Let people realise that it is a sheer waste of time to chase wealth.

 

And about my third wish of having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world.

 

Alexander’s last words: “Bury my body, do not build any monument, keep my hands outside so that the world knows the person who won the world had nothing in his hands when dying.

 

In the same manner, fuelled by the fires of the world, we create an abundance of worldly wealth which eventually like the pongal-pot overflows right back into the fire. Like we learn above, we come into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing. As Swami Vivekananda said: Rust not your life away. Therefore, from the festival of Thai Poosam we learn that we must balance our life. Yes... secular knowledge and wealth creation is important... but it must be balanced with spiritual development which will help us to distribute our wealth in a manner that will bring us immense peace, whilst living in this world (kavady).

 

Living near the airport, it always intrigues my mind how a plane which weighs a million times more than a stone can fly through the air, yet a small stone that fits in my palm fails to stay in the air for more that 2 seconds. It is purely by the shape of the aeroplane that it can soar through the air. Aptly, Sri Ramakrishna says: let the body be bent on account of divine love for God alone. This will help us brew divine love and compassion that can be shared with all.

 

May these inspirational festivals continue to remove us from the fires of worldliness and help elevate us to higher planes of consciousness, is my sincere prayer.

 

With love and prayers always

Yogan 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this post